Friday, September 5, 2008

Life Unexpected!

I mean, REALLY? I never would have guessed how hard baby #2 would be. I am completely exhausted. As you all know, I went back to work this week.I was so looking forward to being back in a routine, but I forgot how tired I am at the beginning of a new school year. I wasn't getting any sleep this summer so I figured working all day would be no big difference. Man was I wrong. I am lucky if I see 8 o'clock. It was my goal last night to stay up until 9:00. At 9:15, Wesley woke me up on the couch (I was sitting straight up) and he said, "Get in bed before you break your neck. There is no telling what I looked like. I don't even know when I fell asleep.
Anyhow, Emerson is just so high maintenance. I have tried everything in the book to comfort her and get her to stop crying. I will list them now:
1. Running a vacuum 2. Putting her in the car seat and setting her on the washer/dryer 3. Driving around 4. Putting her in the Baby Bjorn (really it is Infantino, but nobody would know what I was talking about 4. Using the bouncer, swing 5. The device that makes the womb sounds 6. Putting her on her back/tummy 7. Swinging her in her car seat 8. giving gas drops 9. carrying her 10. letting her wail 11. rocking her You name it and the list goes on. Obviously she is just going to fuss and forget trying to coax her. Her fussy hours are from about 5-8 in the evening. Perfect, right when I come home from a long day at work. I will say though, when she sleeps...she really sleeps.

I just want to give you an typical 24 hour period in my life.
5:00 am -wake up and shower, feed Emerson, make my lunch, get ready, get Campbell ready and his breakfast ready (Wesley does some of this, usually feeding Emerson)
6:30 am-out the door
7:00 am-arrive at Sharon' s and drop off Emerson
7:10 am- Arrive at Legacy and drop off Campbell
7:25 am- arrive at work
7:30 am- kid's in room
3:30ish- Leave to pick up Emerson
4:10- Take Emerson out of the car and into Legacy to get Campbell
4:15- put both Campbell and Emerson back in the car and start lecturing Campbell about his sad face and unfinished classwork
4:50- Emerson starts crying
5:00- Arrive home where Emerson is screaming hysterically for food and Campbell is singing, "I wanna a snack, I wanna snack..............."
5:10- The house is silent bc Emerson is eating and Campbell has a snack and Noggin
5:30- Emerson is crying, but stops only if I hold her while standing and moving
6:00-Emerson starts to fall asleep, but cries if I put her down
6:30- Attempt to start dinner while Emerson is crying in her bouncer and I ignore her and Campbell is STILL playing by himself (see pic)
6:45 Wesley gets home and immediately takes over baby, but she is still crying, so no peace for me
Here's where it gets tricky and can go one of two ways:
Way Number ONE (more peaceful for mom and dad, but less sleep)
7:00- we get to her to sleep
8:30- Wes puts Campbell to bed
10:30- she wakes up and Wesley feeds her
11:30- goes back to sleep
3:00 am- Emerson wakes and I get her up and feed her
3:45 am- Emerson is back to sleep, but I can't so I am pretty much lying awake until the alarm goes off
Way Number TWO (I prefer this way bc this is the way we eventually want it to be, but stressful evening, but more sleep)
7:00-8:15ish- we are making dinner and eating all the while Emerson is crying, sometimes to where she can't catch her breath
8:15- Wes feeds her and put her to bed
8:45- Wesley puts Campbell to bed
Here's the best part:
SHE SLEEPS UNTIL 5:00, but I start all over again!
I have never wanted to be back in the hospital more in my life than I do right now. I get to sleep, not cook or clean, the nurses are there so I don't freak about anything, she was newborn so she literally just ate , slept, and pooped. Everything was so peaceful! Then again, I am one of the few people who actually enjoyed my hospital stays! Anyhow, all this to tell you that after Campbell, I just assumed (wishful thinking) that she would be just as easy. WRONG!!!! Never assume because we all know what happens when you assume!

FYI: Please don't think I am ungrateful or that I love my child any less. I thank God everyday for both my babies and when I start to get even the slightest bit frustrated, I think about all those mommies and daddies who would give ANYTHING to hear their babies cry again and I hug her even tighter.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh Crystal....I feel for you. It looks like you have your hands full and a lot on your plate. I don't know how you do it all. You knew she would be different than Campbell and it sounds like you were right. You have me a little scared. I think I got my high maintenance one out of the way...I hope. Your last paragraph brought a tear to my eye. You couldn't be more right....

BethHubbard said...

Hang in there! I love you!

Tessa Bradford said...

I feel for you! Keylee was the same way. Kenton was such a good baby and then came Keylee. We would take her to the doctor and they would say she just has colic. Like that is suppose to help. We tried everything like you. We finally found colic pills that helped a little but finally at 10 months we had tubes put in her ears and she was so much better. So just hang there it will get better. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Julie said...

Crystal, your post made me want to laugh (alot) and cry (just for you)! I will tell you I completely admire you. I worked for 8 weeks after Cassidy was born and none since. I am so impressed that you get everyone up and out the door each day in the first place! You will probably be amazed at how quickly this time will pass. I know, everyone says that, but it is so true. Like Beth said, just hang in there! It won't be long before you are talking to Campbell about how it is not okay to leave homework at school, and how humming is the same as talking if the teacher has told you to be quiet. (Or maybe that is just Kelsey.) Good luck!

The Nhem Family said...

Hang in there sister, there is a light at the end of this LONG tunnel, I promise! love you!!

pkhubbard said...

My sweet Beth was a fussy baby and I used to wonder what I was doing wrong--she was my first, so I felt lots of pressure. Some babies are like that then they turn into these wonderful little people and you quickly forget all the fussing--but I guess not, since I still remember that Beth fussed and John didn't!! Oh well-you are a real superwoman and a great mom! Hang in there--