Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Really...On my spring break!

So I was at the Children's Hospital ER until 2:45 this morning(I was at the new one in North Plano...SO NICE and the staff was great). Emerson woke up with an awful cough and labored breathing with a horrible wheeze. I felt myself trying to breathe for her. She was also crying hysterically (so not my child) and this all happened out of the blue. I called my on-call nurse at my pediatrician's office (Great feature by the way. Doesn't matter what time you call they will call you back in 30 minutes. It has been a lifesaver). Anyhow, the nurse told me to take her in, especially because of the labored and struggling to breathe.
Well, by the time we get there, she was perfectly content and back to her normal self...except when she coughed, she sounded like a seal. Long story short, a breathing treatment, a steroid, a prescription, and 3 hours later...Little Miss has Croup. Isn't that so fun? They told me the reason why she was fine when we got there was because the cool night air helps open up airways in the respiratory system and she could breathe a little better. She was the star of the ER, smiling, waving, and gabbing to anyone that would listen. Funny that she smiled and put on a show at 2:00 in the morning in an ER, but wouldn't crack a smile for her spring pics on Sunday...TYPICAL! Thankfully she only has a cough and nothing else, so she is pretty normal. What is it with my kids and illnesses that attack the respiratory system? Asthma runs rampant in my family tree and I had it when I was younger (out grew it as some kids do). Maybe this is why...Are they destined to have asthma?

All this to tell you, my parents are coming in town tomorrow, hopefully life will be back to normal and Emerson will be happy and fun to be around. Not that they would care!
P.S. In the pic you can see the monitor that checks her oxygen level...it is glowing red though her sock on her big toe...She was hysterical last night because she couldn't figure out why her toe was glowing. Yes, even in the ER at 2:00 a.m. I managed to capture a picture!

3 comments:

timmonstimes said...

Brooke's little guy just recently had croup. It came on just as quickly - not fun! Scary with the whole breathing thing! Have fun with your parents. We are off to Lubbock tomorrow:)

BethHubbard said...

Uh, hello?!?! A call to Auntie Beth would have been nice!!! I'm so glad she's ok!

2 Cute Boys said...

I'm glad she's okay! We've had strep make the rounds twice in the past month - YUCK! You need to call me so we can see Aunt Candy and Uncle Jamie while they are here, plus we haven't seen you in a while either! Love ya!